The challenge of manipulating metal is intriguing. Flowing forms and soft textural surfaces are created which gives movement and character to the hardness of metal.
The style of my jewellery is reflective of the harmony of nature. Using anticlastic raising techniques, silver and gold is hammered and raised into curvy organic forms, creating strong, yet delicate structures. Distinctive variations evolve in each piece as I am guided by the movement of the metal. This process gives each piece a unique character. Different surface finishes further enhance the contrasts in texture, light and shade.
In 1998 Naomi Schwartz completed a Bachelor of Design at the University of South Australia, and began her jewellery making practice from various studios, including Gray Street Workshop and Zu Design: jewellery + objects and the Jam Factory.
After receiving an Arts SA grant, Naomi travelled to London to work with Jane Adam at Cockpit Arts and other inspiring jewellers.
Returning to Adelaide, Naomi later established soda and rhyme│jewellery design studio and gallery together with Kath Inglis, which ran successfully for 5 years.
In 2012, Naomi curated a ‘Pop Up’ exhibition ‘Wear a piece of Adelaide’ inconjuction with the Adelaide Fringe festival, for 3 years in succession. This selected group exhibition showcased a collection of handmade jewellery created by South Australian designers, inspired by Adelaide.
Naomi Schwartz Jewellery Design Gallery was established in 2016 in Henley Beach. Passionate about supporting South Australian Contemporary Designers, the Gallery features jewellery, small sculptures and hand blown glass from local makers, alongside her designs which are created from the open plan workshop.
- December 2016 – Naomi Schwartz Jewellery Design Gallery – Henley Square Pavilion, 340 – 352 Seaview Road Henley Beach SA
- 2010-2016 – Home studio – Henley Beach South S.A.
- 2012-2014 – Curator – Wear a piece of Adelaide – Adelaide College of the Arts – Adelaide Fringe Exhibition
- 2014- Curator – Wear a piece of Adelaide – Adelaide Arcade – Adelaide Fringe Exhibition
- 2005 – 2010, Co-Director Soda and Rhyme Jewellery design studio –North Adelaide SA
- 2004-05 Lecturer – jewellery design – University of South Australia
- 2002-04 Member Studio 7 – JamFactory Contemporary Craft and Design – Adelaide SA
- 2000-01 Employed by Jewellery Designer, Jane Adam – Cockpit Arts, London, England
- 2000 Employed by Designer, Frank Bauer – Goodwood, SA
- 1999 Access Tenant / SAYAB ‘Artists in studios’ Grant, Gray Street Workshop – Adelaide, SA
- 1995-98 Bachelor of Design (Jewellery Design) – University of South Australia
Exhibited throughout Australia and overseas
Commissions2002- current – private jewellery commissions.
2007 Adelaide Botanic Gardens – Design and fabricate architectural detailing and wall pieces for the Amazon Waterlily Pavilion, in collaboration with Kath Inglis.
2005 Australia Council for the Arts – Established Artist New Work Grant
1999 Arts SA – Project Assistance Grant for Cockpit Arts, London, England